Help us, support us
Sun bears are listed as Vulnerable in IUCN Redlist
The Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre (BSBCC) is the only sun bear conservation centre in the world. It was founded in Sabah, Malaysia in 2008 with two aims:
- to provide care and rehabilitation to rescued sun bears; and
- to increase awareness of sun bears internationally.
The mission of the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre in Sabah, Malaysia, is to promote sun bear conservation in Borneo through animal welfare, conservation, rehabilitation, education and research - giving captured sun bears a better home and restoring their right to live in the wild, by:
Within the larger goals outlined above, we want to fulfill the following specific objectives:
- Serve as a half-way house for confiscated/orphaned bears before release back into the wild; provide rehabilitation and training/survival skills for individual release.
- Serve as a permanent home for confiscated/orphaned bears that cannot be put back into the wild.
- Provide a humane, comfortable, and stimulating environment for captive sun bears over both the short- and long-term.
- Provide a much-needed location for the care and housing of newly confiscated/rescued bears.
- Assist the government in enforcement efforts by providing a place for confiscated animals and a program for successful reintroduction.
- Present captive bears as wildlife ambassadors for Borneo and for conservation of wild sun bears and their habitat.
- Provide a memorable visitor experience to promote awareness of sun bears and threats to their survival.
- Promote tourism around Sepilok as well as wild areas in Borneo by raising awareness of a new charismatic flagship species.
- Promote further research on sun bears, including sun bear breeding patterns, social interactions, use of the forest, health and genetic status, behavior, captive breeding, rehabilitation and enrichment.
- Provide capacity building for further research and conservation of sun bears in the wild.
Have a question or comment? We welcome all enquiries, so please get in touch from any of the methods below:
Write to us at our
PPM 219, Elopura,
90000 Sandakan, Sabah,