Within the larger goals outlined above, we want to fulfill the following specific objectives:
- Serve as a half-way house for confiscated/orphaned bears before release back into the wild; provide rehabilitation and training/survival skills for individual release.
- Serve as a permanent home for confiscated/orphaned bears that cannot be put back into the wild.
- Provide a humane, comfortable, and stimulating environment for captive sun bears over both the short- and long-term.
- Provide a much-needed location for the care and housing of newly confiscated/rescued bears.
- Assist the government in enforcement efforts by providing a place for confiscated animals and a program for successful reintroduction.
- Present captive bears as wildlife ambassadors for Borneo and for conservation of wild sun bears and their habitat.
- Provide a memorable visitor experience to promote awareness of sun bears and threats to their survival.
- Promote tourism around Sepilok as well as wild areas in Borneo by raising awareness of a new charismatic flagship species.
- Promote further research on sun bears, including sun bear breeding patterns, social interactions, use of the forest, health and genetic status, behavior, captive breeding, rehabilitation and enrichment.
- Provide capacity building for further research and conservation of sun bears in the wild.
Have a question or comment? We welcome all enquiries, so please get in touch from any of the methods below: